Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Countdown Begins

Photo by Brenna

Twenty days. All that stands between the students of Parker Middle School and the nation's capitol. The eighth grade trip made annually by WS Parker Middle School looms three weeks away. We are eagerly anticipating the break from school. We will depart on the 27th, only twenty days away, the suspense is rising. Here is the news circling about DC. 

While room arrangements have not been posted there is speculation about who will room with who. Also, without tickets or knowledge of seating, students are already arguing over who will get the window seat. The group of bloggers, the lifeline between students in DC and parents back home, are training. This is my first training post. I've been looking over past posts trying to think about how I will continue the tradition of Parker excellence.

Twenty days. All that is left until we board a plane at Logan Airport. While twenty days seems like a fairly short amount of time for those reading this post, for us students it will seem like eternity. It actually isn't all that long when you think about what has to be done. Rooming arrangements need to be posted, various paperwork still needs to be filled out, packing lists need to be handed, students need to pack, and before we know it we're on our way. Twenty days.

-Aymon 


Parker gives students a multitude of options for a fun field trip to somewhere different, and D.C. is where most people in our grade will have the opportunity to travel to. Everyone has American pride, whether it's sheltered inside or is being screamed out for all to hear. This our time to bring that out. The thought of getting away from Massachusetts is beginning to settle in and the invisionment of the historical buildings are almost in view. It's like an 8th grade expectation, you think of the funny pictures you'll take in such a serious environment that will make the mood just as good as you hope.

There are museums and landmarks that you hear so much about in so many places that you'll finally be able to actually see for yourself. From the White House where Obama resides, to the war memorials that could bring tears to your eyes, there is so much to see that you long to see as soon as possible. That "soon as possible" is sooner than we think, and it'll be a great surprise for those not ready. Washington D.C., the capital of the U.S., is almost within our reach, and since we have this opportunity, we are ready to take it.

-Declan


It's seems the last couple of hours and minutes are the hardest to bear. I'll tell you, I've been waiting three years for these upcoming three days. But, nothing like the constant ticking of the final hours will ever be so long. Levels of anticipation are exceedingly large, and spirits are running high. It seems like the end of the year just won't come, and in some sense, I'm hoping it doesn't. The anticipation is sometimes the best part of the trip itself - the constant waiting, endless dreaming about the wonderful adventures that I will partake with my school family in such short time. Personally, I've planned everything out to the minute, between food to bring, music for the plane, and even planning shower times for my roommates at night. What makes the trip so special isn't the pictures that will eventually end up on Instagram, and silly photos on snapchat (trust me, mine will), but it's the memories engraved into our minds, and the timeless friendships developed throughout the year that blossomed so beautifully.  

I remember the first time I got a full whopping description of the trip by my friend's older sister. I admire her very much, and watching her talk on and on about the trip made me realize how much I need to enjoy it. I know it's great to see the White House, museums, and monuments galore, but really it's great to be with your friends and teachers who you have bonded with so nicely. I can't tell you the amount of field trips I've gone on in middle school, that I actually really enjoyed, or even learned something that I can remember. Even if something unexpected happens, I know that I can make the best of any situation with some laughter and friends to laugh with, and by this point, everyone will laugh with each other. 

- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment